The Microsoft URL Rewrite Module for IIS 7.0 provides flexible rules-based rewrite engine that can be used to perform broad spectrum of URL manipulation tasks, including, but not limited to:
- Enabling user friendly and search engine friendly URL with dynamic web applications;
- Rewriting URL’s based on HTTP headers and server variables;
- Web site content handling;
- Controlling access to web site content based on URL segments or request metadata
The Microsoft URL rewrite module includes these key features:
- Rules-based URL rewriting engine. Rewrite rules are used to express the logic of what to compare/match the request URL with and what to do if comparison was successful. Web server and site administrators can use rewrite rule sets to define URL rewriting logic.
- Regular expression pattern matching. Rewrite rules can use ECMA-262 compatible regular expression syntax for pattern matching.
- Wildcard pattern matching. Rewrite rules can use Wildcard syntax for pattern matching
- Global and distributed rewrite rules. Global rules are used to define server-wide URL rewriting logic. These rules are defined within applicationHost.config file and they cannot be overridden or disabled on any lower configuration levels. Distributed rules are used to define URL rewriting logic specific to a particular configuration scope. This type of rules can be defined on any configuration level by using web.config files.
- Access to server variables and http headers. Server variables and HTTP headers provide additional information about current HTTP request. This information can be used to make rewriting decisions or to compose the output URL.
- Various rule actions. Instead of rewriting a URL, a rule may perform other actions, such as issue an HTTP redirect, abort the request, or send a custom status code to HTTP client.
- UI for managing rewrite rules and rewrite maps. Rewrite rules and rewrite maps can be added, removed and edited by using “URL Rewrite Module” feature in IIS Manager.
- GUI tool for importing of mod_rewrite rules. URL rewrite module includes a GUI tool for converting rewrite rules from mod_rewrite format into an IIS format.
WebhostforASP.NET uses IIS 7.0 platform on Windows 2008 server. We Provide our clients with URL Rewrite Module, so they could use URL rewrite easily. Now if you have WordPress blog, it will automatically synchronize to the URL rewrite module when you set the permalinks up. WebhostforASP.NET always provide the latest technologies!